Since 1982, Oakton Chiropractic Clinic has treated thousands of patients whose lives have been almost irreparably damaged by neck pain. Fortunately, we have been able to restore these patients to their former selves with the aid of simple, safe, effective techniques, and we can do so for you too.
What Causes Neck Pain?
Everyone has a neck, and, as is the case with human nature, we take it for granted, but it does important work. The neck, or cervical spine, contains seven small vertebrae, but these small vertebrae astonishingly support the weight of the human head, which is an average of 12 pounds. The neck can move the head in a wide variety of directions, but this also makes it vulnerable to injury and pain.
Some of the most common causes of pain and injury to the neck include the following:
- Accidents, including automobile collisions, sports injuries, and falls. Any activity that forces a sudden movement of the head and/or the neck in any direction can cause “whiplash,” which injures the surrounding and supporting tissues of the neck and head. Muscles may tighten and contract, creating muscle fatigue, which causes stiffness and pain. The nerve roots, joints, ligaments, and discs may also be damaged.
- Degenerative Disc Disease, which reduces the height and elasticity of intervertebral discs, causing them to herniate or bulge, resulting in tingling, numbness, and pain running into the arms.
- Spinal Stenosis, a condition causing the nerve passageways in the vertebrae to narrow, which compresses and traps nerve roots and may cause neck, shoulder, and arm pain.
- Osteoarthritis, in which the cartilage progressively deteriorates, causing the body to react by producing bone spurs that affect joint motion.
- Even the healthiest of us are susceptible to chronic conditions such as degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and osteoarthritis over time.
- Simply Being Alive. Stress, emotional tension, poor posture, and obesity may all disrupt spinal balance, leading to chronic neck pain that may extend into the upper back and arms.
All of these can affect your cervical biomechanics and lead to serious neck, upper back, shoulder, and arm pain, significantly hindering your ability to enjoy a normal life. But there is hope, hope that does not involve mind-numbing and potentially addictive drugs or invasive surgery. There is chiropractic medicine, a safe, conservative, and effective method of care that can alleviate your pain and help bring you back to yourself.
Chiropractic Treatment of Neck Pain
For more than a century, chiropractic medicine has focused on diagnosing and manipulating mechanical disorders of the spine in a non-invasive fashion, including disorders of the neck. With cervical manipulation, or “neck adjustments,” a chiropractor works to improve the spine, restore range of motion, and increase movement of the adjoining muscles. In addition to manipulation, the treatment may also involve rehabilitative exercises and massage, among other methods. Patients, such as ours at Oakton Chiropractic Clinic, usually notice an improved ability to move their heads and a reduction of pain and stiffness.
What We Offer
As third-generation chiropractors, our Chiropractic and Comprehensive Alternative Medicine Clinic has over 35 years of experience in Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Nutrition, Physical Therapy, and Massage, all dedicated to your individual care. With this level of expertise, odds are that we have seen your type of pain before – in fact, many, many times before.
When you first come to our office, we will start off with an interview so that we can build a comprehensive history of your injury or illness. From there, we will conduct a physical examination. This exam consists of a postural evaluation and chiropractic, orthopedic, and neurological tests. If we feel that you also need an x-ray or an MRI, we will give you a referral for that piece of the puzzle.
We will then carefully review all of these tests and materials and make an informed diagnosis and develop an appropriate treatment plan which we will discuss with you thoroughly. We may go over things that we want you to do at home to help aid in your treatment.
Some of our treatment techniques include chiropractic manipulation, soft tissue massage, physiotherapy modalities such as ultrasound and interferential current, acupuncture, stretching, and lifestyle suggestions. Our treatment is all narcotics free and surgery free.
We work hard to help our patients, but we know our limits. We have built up a team of specialists to whom we can refer our patients if what they present with is out of the scope of what we treat. Sometimes, medicine and surgery are necessary when conservative treatment proves ineffective. We also have a physical therapist who is independent of us who is on site if certain patients need that route of treatment.
Our main goal is to establish the cause of your pain, determine whether it is a problem that would benefit from conservative chiropractic care or would be better treated elsewhere, and get on with the business of helping you manage and alleviate your pain so that you can return to your normal life.
That is what we do, and that is what we have been doing to the great satisfaction of our patients since 1982.
Contact us today! Call (847) 979-4917 to make an appointment or click here to schedule your appointment today!